Why You Really Should Stop Charging Your Phone Overnight

What’s the best way to charge an iPhone to get the longest possible battery life? I asked myself this question and decided to do some experiments to find out.

Before falling asleep, I did what millions of other people do: I put my iPhone on charge overnight.

But why are we doing this?

Also: Using the wrong USB-C cable can damage your technology. Here’s how to avoid it

An iPhone can go from zero to 50% charge in about 30 minutes with a 20W charger, then fully recharge in less than two hours.

Since an iPhone can charge so quickly, it doesn’t make sense to hook it up to a charger for eight hours a day. This is equivalent to one third of its lifespan.

Now Apple has integrated Optimized Battery Charging into iOS, which stops the iPhone from charging once the battery reaches 80% and only adds the remaining 20% ​​in time for you to wake up in the morning. But that still means the iPhone is connected to power all night.

And it still charges, albeit at a slower rate. This is how it stays at 80%.

So why is it bad to leave it connected to a charger for long periods of time?

Heat.

It’s a stack killer. While there’s nothing you can do about the normal wear and tear on a battery during charging and discharging, heat is something you can do something about. When your iPhone is connected to a charger, it gets hot – hotter than if it’s not connected, and while this increase may only be a few degrees above ambient temperature, doing so during the night, every night, does not seem smart tome.

So I drastically changed the way I charge my iPhone.

Rather than charging it at night, I give it a charge or two during the day. Here is the charging schedule that works for me:

  • I put it on for 30-45 minutes in the morning after getting up (I also charge my Apple Watch at the same time).
  • Then I charge it around mid-afternoon for about another 30 minutes to bring it up to that 80% mark, which will usually be enough to keep me going until the next morning.

Note that if I’m going to be spending a lot of time in the car or on the go, I’ll also use a car charger or take a power bank with me.

This system works well and I think it puts less strain on the iPhone’s battery (time will tell) as well as the charger. It also allows me to plan where I need my chargers, so I don’t just rely on a bedside charger.

And when I’m at home, working on the road, or traveling, this charging regimen hasn’t let me down.

Because people always ask, I always charge with cable rather than wireless, and I use a 20W Anker Nano USB-C Charger. For portable power banks I use the size of a candy bar Anker 511 5000mAh Power Bank and the biggest 10,000mAh Anker PowerCore 10000 Redux. Both are portable, sturdy, reliable and fantastic power banks. Don’t forget to bring a charging cable!

As for charging in the car, nothing beats the Ultra-fast and super-powerful 130W LinkOn USB-C chargerfeaturing 100W and 30W USB-C ports.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! newsnaveen.online is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@newsnaveen.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Similar Articles

Most Popular