Live updates on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Gaza militants fire rockets into Jerusalem

Credit…Mohammad Salem/Reuters

JERUSALEM – Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants fired a barrage of rockets into Jerusalem early Sunday in the latest round of violent cross-border attacks which began Friday with Israeli strikes against the Gaza-based group.

Egyptian-mediated talks for a ceasefire were advancing on Sunday, according to an official familiar with the talks, raising hopes of a cessation of hostilities within the next 24 hours.

Yet the situation remained unstable as militants continued to fire rockets into the afternoon, at first from closer range, targeting Israeli territory along the Gaza border, and much further afield. to the southern suburbs of Tel Aviv. The Israeli army said it continued to strike at Islamic Jihad rocket launch sites.

The first salvoes from the militants, which came just after 8 a.m. on Sunday, came as hundreds of Orthodox Jews marked a somber day of fasting by visiting a holy site revered by Muslims and Jews in the Old City of Jerusalem. Warning sirens sounded in the surrounding hill villages.

There were no immediate reports of casualties; most rockets launched by militants over the past two days have been ineffective, with the vast majority either intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome defense system or falling in open areas, according to the IDF. Militants fired nearly 600 rockets into Israel.

Israel pounded the blockaded and impoverished coastal enclave of Gaza with air and artillery strikes on Friday and Saturday, saying it was attacking Islamic Jihad military targets, including some located in residential buildings.

In Gaza, residents emerged after a night of bloodshed amid what has become the most violent conflagration between Israel and Gaza militants in more than a year.

At least 31 people have been killed so far in Gaza, according to the Health Ministry, and 275 have been injured. Six children were among the dead, the ministry said on Sunday.

Israel said some of those children were killed on Saturday night when an Islamic Jihad rocket misfired and fell short in the northern Gaza Strip. The Israeli army said it was not operating in this area at the time. Islamic Jihad has not commented on the Israeli claim.

The IDF also noted what Israeli officials and analysts on Saturday night hailed as a significant operational success with the killing of Khaled Mansour, a senior Islamic Jihad commander responsible for the southern Gaza region.

Islamic Jihad confirmed the death of the commander on Sunday. His body was found under the rubble of a building in a residential area along with the bodies of two other activists and five civilians, including a child.

“We affirm that the blood of martyrs will not be shed in vain,” the armed wing of Islamic Jihad said in a statement, adding that Mr. Mansour’s death “will spark the battle to defend Jerusalem and the holy Al-Aqsa Mosque.” ,” referring to the city’s holy site that Jews revere as the Temple Mount.

Mr Mansour’s death came a day after Israeli strikes killed Islamic Jihad’s northern region military commander, Taysir al-Jabari. Earlier in the week, Israel arrested a senior member of the group in the West Bank, prompting threats of retaliation. Israel said its initial airstrikes were pre-emptive, aimed at preventing Islamic Jihad from following up on those threats.

Hamas, the much larger Islamic militant group that dominates Gaza has so far stayed out of the fighting, a factor that could limit the extent and duration of the conflict.

The latest major conflagration in Gaza, waged over 11 days in May 2021, began after Hamas fired a barrage of rockets into Jerusalem following days of Israeli-Palestinian clashes.

Lt. Col. Richard Hecht, spokesman for the Israeli army, said on Sunday that “silence will be answered with silence, but if they keep firing, we will continue to act”, repeating a position that Israel expressed many times before as he tried to end past campaigns in Gaza.

Iyad Abuheweila, Gabby Sobelman and Fady Hanona contributed reporting.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! newsnaveen.online is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@newsnaveen.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Similar Articles

Most Popular