Suspected Ebola case in DR Congo, ongoing investigation: report

Suspected Ebola case in DR Congo, ongoing investigation: report

Ebola is an often fatal viral hemorrhagic fever.

Kinshasa:

The Democratic Republic of Congo is investigating a suspected case of Ebola in its violence-torn is, the World Health Organization announced on Saturday, just weeks after a previous outbreak ended.

Early last month, the DRC declared its latest Ebola outbreak over, more than two months after the virus reappeared in the northwestern province of Equateur.

There have been four confirmed cases and one probable case – all deceased – in what the WHO said was the 14th outbreak in the country since the disease was discovered there in 1976.

Now authorities fear that a 46-year-old woman who died Monday in the eastern province of North Kivu may have contracted it too.

She was treated at the hospital in the city of Beni “initially for other ailments, but subsequently she presented symptoms compatible with Ebola virus disease”, the WHO said in a statement.

Samples were sent to a lab for testing.

“WHO is already on the ground to help health officials investigate the case and prepare for a possible outbreak,” WHO Regional Director for Africa Matshidiso Moeti said in a statement. communicated.

The government urged caution on Saturday and said a “stock of vaccines” was available in North Kivu.

Ebola is an often fatal viral hemorrhagic fever. The disease was named after a river in Zaire, as the country was known when it was discovered.

Human transmission is through bodily fluids, with the main symptoms being fever, vomiting, bleeding, and diarrhea.

DRC’s deadliest outbreak killed 2,280 people in 2020.

The WHO said Friday that two existing treatments significantly reduce deaths from Ebola.

More than 120 militias roam the mineral-rich but unstable eastern DRC, where attacks on civilians are commonplace.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Source link

Denial of responsibility! newsnaveen.online is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – admin@newsnaveen.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Similar Articles

Most Popular